A grocery store carries many different items. Of course, many of these items are perishable and require refrigeration. In fact, many of a store’s most coveted items—meat, dairy and produce—need refrigeration to stay fresh.
If a refrigeration system malfunctions, the store could face liability and financial risks. Improperly refrigerated foods could spoil and destroy inventory or sicken customers.
A refrigeration failure could entitle you to a business insurance claim. Most grocery store insurance policies cover this type of damage. Liability coverage could also protect you from claims of customer illness or injury from refrigeration problems.
However, do everything you can to cut the risk of failures or customer injuries. Negligent practices could cost you a claim. This is because you didn’t take care of your systems.
Keep these refrigeration techniques in mind to keep your risks low:
- Have your systems inspected regularly to prevent breakdowns. Make sure the systems meet local health and safety codes.
- Clean your systems frequently, if not daily. This can prevent contamination and reduce the risk of mold growth.
- Make sure refrigeration electrical systems always function. This can reduce both breakdown and fire risks.
- Keep refrigeration systems at the proper temperature and humidity. Depending on the items the systems hold, the temperatures will vary.
- Know which items to refrigerate and which items to freeze.
- Separate food items into different refrigeration systems as required by code.
- Do not keep items out past their sell-by dates. Remove these items from stock and dispose of them.
- Make sure that you are stocking items that arrive in your store in good condition. Always sign off on deliveries when you receive a shipment of refrigerated items.
- Look for leaks or other contamination within the system.
- If you notice damages, throw away affected items. Move other items to a safe area.
With the right business insurance, you can protect your grocery store’s refrigeration systems. But, always take steps to reduce your risks beforehand. The better your refrigeration system works, the smaller your chance of insurance claims.
Exceed Insurance is here to help you get the grocery store insurance coverage that you need. Go online today to get a quote or find answers to your questions. Call us at (855) 539-2333 for more information.