Illinois winters can be harsh. They generally bring freezing temperatures, heavy snowfall and more. Should winter weather impact your hotel, you might face damage and business interruptions.
The hospitality industry functions year-round. So, hotel owners must continually maintain their property. A strong hotel insurance policy may help you stay in business even if a winter storm causes damage.
Preventing Hotel Damage
You can take steps to prepare your hotel property for a harsh Illinois winter. Doing so might help you prevent damages that render your coverage inadequate.
- Inspect your building's structure for signs of foundation and roof damage. Inclement weather and cold temperatures may compromise these structures. They need to be able to maintain their structural integrity in such situations. If you can repair small damage early, you may be able to prevent larger damages from developing.
- Clean your HVAC system and maintain it. These systems may see frequent use during cold weather. If they don’t function correctly, your hot water systems, air conditioning and heating apparatuses may pose failure or fire risks.
- If your hotel has fireplaces, clean them before and after the winter season. Unkempt fireplaces may raise your fire risks.
- Maintain accessibility to your hotel. Keep floors clean and walkways clear. This may help prevent visitors from sustaining slip-and-fall injuries. This, in turn, can reduce the hotel’s liability risks.
- Prepare ahead for potential inclement weather. Should winter weather strike, you may need to take extra steps to accommodate your guests. Invest in non-perishable food, generators and emergency supplies and other items. Have an emergency procedure in place for these events.
- Shut down outdoor pools and other seasonal items. Prohibit guests from using these items if it is not safe to do so.
Hotel Insurance During Winter
Your hotel insurance policy can be invaluable during the winter. Seasonal risks are often present, and unique claims might arise.
For example, should a lake-effect snowstorm cause roof damage, property insurance may help with repair costs. And if a guest slips and falls on an icy sidewalk, your liability policy might protect you against any claims they might file.
Your Illinois hotel needs insurance coverage during winter, and it needs to address any area-specific winter risks. Be sure you check your policy for any exclusions that may result from winter weather.
Exceed Insurance is your source for Illinois hotel insurance. Contact us to learn more about the policies we offer.