Protecting your grocery patrons is an important part of your business. But, protecting your employees should be an equally important task.
Without proper protections, grocery store employees face risks that could impact their safety. If employees face risks, then so does the business owner.
Protect Grocery Store Employees with Employee Liability Insurance
Sometimes, unfortunate accidents happen. Store clerks may fall stocking shelves, or cut their hands at the butcher’s block. Injured employees may have to miss work as they recover or seek treatment for injuries.
Often, the law requires grocery store owners to provide injured or sick employees with workers’ compensation. Workers’ comp provides employees with income while they are out of work. Employee liability insurance is often called workers' compensation insurance.
Employee liability insurance can help grocery store owners cover these workers’ compensation costs. This insurance helps make sure an employer doesn’t suffer financially when having to pay.
Take Precautions in Your Grocery Store
Even though you have workers’ compensation insurance, that’s not all you need to do to protect your employees.
If a store owner neglects to contain potential risks to employees’ safety, the insurance company might use this negligence as the basis to deny a claim. Grocery store owners must take steps to ensure the safety of their employees:
- Make sure that any new employee has the qualifications and training to do their job. Only allow store employee to undertake tasks they have trained to do.
- Don’t allow inexperienced employees to carry heavy loads or operate sensitive equipment like forklifts or butcher materials.
- Follow all regulations regarding employee sanitation and safety. This will prevent you from exposing employees to any health risks.
- Keep employee-only areas clean and free of injury risks. Take note of things like puddles or damaged lounge furniture. Isolate damages or safety threats and close that area. Have the damage repaired immediately. The same goes for the rest of the business.
- Teach employees to handle and store inventory safely. Employees must use all necessary sanitation protection when working with sensitive items. When stocking the store, make sure employees know how to correctly manage inventory.
Creating a safe environment for your employees. That way, you enable them to come to work with a low risk for injury or illness. By protecting employees you will also protect patrons who expect to shop in a safe environment. With the correct workers’ compensation insurance, you can protect your grocery store in case an unfortunate accident does happen to an employee.
Let Exceed Insurance Agency get you the grocery store insurance policy you need to protect your employees. Go online now for a fast, free quote on a policy. Give us a call at (855) 539-2333 with any questions.